[Lias] squid problems

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Thu Dec 19 07:09:01 UTC 2002

Trevor Gunter wrote:

> I'm running squid (on a rh7.2 box I think it is). For no apparent reason,
> today, squid simply stopped running.
> Can anybody give me some ideas of what to try. Thanks in anticipation.

Of the two possibilities suggested previously, i think disk full is the more
likely.  I've never seen squid corrupt its store to the point where it
crashes.  What it usually does is simply logs the fact that the store is
corrupt and then fetches the request from the originating server.

If disk space is your problem, you should consider running something like Red
Hat's diskcheck, which emails you when the disk is close to full.

> The proxy server was still up and can be pinged ok but no squid. Reboot did
> nothing.  Previously, if squid is running and I retype "squid start" , I get
> the message squid is already running. Typing squid -k shutdown now confirms
> no squid process running.

Reboot should always be your last option.  I would use
    service squid restart
first and see what that produces.  This can be used for all of the services
defined in Red Hat's startup (and probably Mandrake and a few others as well).

> This happened once before about 3 months back, at that time I just redid the
> server and reset the squid.conf file.Took about an hour.

What do you mean by "redid the server and reset the squid.conf file"?  Did you
reboot and then restore the squid.conf file to its original state?  95% of the
directives in squid.conf would likely not have any bearing on your problem.  Is
squid set to log errors to syslog?  If so, tail -f /var/log/messages (or your
local equivalent) and then restart squid.  You should get a message explaining
why squid isn't doing what you expect.  I've always found squid logging to be
quite informative.

BTW, if you're running Red Hat's standard squid package, the log files should
get rotated automatically by logrotate.  If they're not, something's wrong with
your logrotate config.

Paul