[Lias] squid problems

ken_yap at users.sourceforge.net ken_yap at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 19 14:59:01 UTC 2002

>BTW, if you're running Red Hat's standard squid package, the log files should
>get rotated automatically by logrotate.  If they're not, something's wrong with
>your logrotate config.

While a disk full proved to be the case, what I didn't mention in my
little story is that the virus managed to push store.log up to 2GB in
the space of 24 hours. The point of my story is not whether logrotate is
running or not, that's boring, but that sysadmins should check that
logrotate is running *often enough*.  The default for squid logs is 1
week IIRC but on high volume servers you may need to reduce this
interval. store.log reaching 2GB is something you will see noted in
cache.log, but cache.log reaching 2GB is not something you will see
logged, obviously. The only clue you'll see is the magical size of
2147483647 for the log file. I'm sure a few of the mysterious "squid
won't restart, so I reinstalled and the problem went away" are due to
this situation.