[Lias] Apache with PHP and DSO

Simon Bryan sbryan at mpx.com.au
Tue Jul 24 14:39:15 UTC 2001

Hi all,
I am trying to rebuild my Apache server from source (1.3.20) to include
support fro PHP4 and DSO. I have downloaded and installed PHP (but feel I
may have to recompile it as I did that before deciding to rebuild the
apache server) I have downloaded and unpacked the apache server. I have used:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=most --enable-shared=max

as per the install instructions and it configures OK, but when I do make it
crashes out with:

mod_auth_dbm.c:84:18: ndbm.h: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [mod_auth_dbm.so] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/apache_1.3.20/src'
make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/apache_1.3.20'
make: *** [build] Error 2

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or better yet a bow by blow
description of how to achieve what I want? TIA

Simon Bryan