[Cbsupport] re: What do you use your Linux Computer for?

hi Avery,
I am not exactly a newbie, but I can tell you that I use my computer for
all desktop requirements, including:
movies, music, accounting, writing, email, browsing. There is very
little that an Open Source computer can not do. So far, I am unable to
download pictures from my digital camera but only because I made the
mistake of not looking at supported cameras first.

Thanks Shaun
I use the following applications:
email: fetchmail -> postfix -> procmail -> spamassassin -> mutt
I use Mozilla for emails
www browsing: konqueror, lynx
I've tried lynx but I get a bit lost 3 pages in
I use Konqueror and Mozilla for browsing I removed Galeon to save space but I did like that
We search for lots of images that's why we don't use lynx much
news: slrn
I'm about to use mozilla for that but I get mine form i7 ninemsn and google news
irc: irssi
I removed that
editing/ writing: vim
I can't get kate to work any more so I use Kwrite now
reading .docs: abiword
Open Office.org writer
spreadsheets: gnumeric
Haven't been doing spread sheets of late used KOffice for that but willl use OOo now
movies/dvds: mplayer
Wasn't working for me
mp3s: mpg123
XMMS it came up auto for me and plays reall good
ripping mp3s: ripit.pl
editing images: gimp, xv, imagemagick (eg mogrify)
gphoto, gimp whatever the image come up best on
burning cds: burncd
window manager: fvwm2
ftp: ncftp

Not sure what a windows manager is
There are so many choices with OSS it is a shame that so many people
need to use something that acts like outlook, or is similar to ms word,
or looks like windows.
Don't like MS Outlook has too many things wrong
Absolutly love Mozilla so gave Kmail the flick

I also use xpdf and ghostview pdf

I love having so much choice and power. I can see why the dumbing down of OSS is useful in helping new users, but it is a shame. There is so much fun, potential and power when you become used to the command line.

If I don't use it I got rid of it purged it
I have a very small 2.3 hdd ide so I need to be careful of room I also get about 1000 emails a week which I have to delete or save somewhere else

cheers

shaun

We are using the Computer to research our arts and crafts Emailing keeping in contact with family in Sydney Looking for work TAFE asssignments and research and it helps when I do Volunteering

Any one else?

CARA I'm interested in what you do and if you got your mail and OOo working

regards Avery