[Cbsupport] Re: net radio and video

Hi AVery,

I am a newbie so this is just a starting point for you, hopefully you will get some advice from someone with more experience.
I like to listen to smoothjazz with xmms, but don't hold that against me.
This is what I did to setup this station.
Using my web browser (Mozilla) I went to www.smoothjazz.com and selected Winamp/iTunes - Modem (for dial-up) as the chosen audio player. You will get a pop-up window asking you what application you want to open the file with. Choose /usr/bin/xmms (or the location of where your xmms file is). xmms should open and play the broadcast material. You can save this location (station) in your home directory through "PL" (the playlist window): right-click in playlist window > Playlist > save list and give it a name that you will remember. Next time you want to listen, open xmms, use "load list" from the playlist window to select the list (or station) you want to listen to and hit play, or if it was the last thing you listened to with xmms it should still be loaded so just hit play and enjoy.
I would imagine that by finding the web addresses for other stations you like, you could make yourself quite a comprehensive selection of stations to listen to.

I use mplayer for most online videos. It does not work with everything but here is the description for it from the download site:

MPlayer is a movie player that plays most MPEG, VOB, AVI, OGG/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, FLI, RM, NuppelVideo, yuv4mpeg, FILM, RoQ, and PVA files. You can also use it to watch VCDs, SVCDs, DVDs, 3ivx, RealMedia, and DivX movies. It supports a wide range of output drivers including X11, XVideo, DGA, OpenGL, SVGAlib, fbdev, AAlib, DirectFB etc. There are also nice antialiased shaded subtitles and OSD.

Have fun,

Chris Gates

PS: Does etiquette dictate you write above or below the last thread?

deBrouwer&Maxwell wrote:

Hi guys
how can I find radio stations on the net that are going to work with XMMS or other packages?
I like dance, house, jazz, soul, baroque, Gershwin, Porter and Pop
All I have found is mp3.com and can only listen to one song at a time
I'd like to hear a few in a row without having to reclick and wait for it to buffer again
i"d like to try JJJ but I can't work it
I have a dial up 56K with great connection

and 2
How can I watch vidoes on line if if it says select realplayer or Windows?
I have debian sid 2.3 g hdde and 128 SDRAM

I have many sound, graphic and multimedia packages that come with the debian, kde and x stuff
thanks
AVery