[Aslug] Ubuntu 64, 9.04 stability

Adrian Casey mail at agcasey.com
Wed Sep 30 09:13:20 EST 2009

Hi Andrew,

I had a similar problem with Studio64 (which is built on Ubuntu).  I found a
lot of email traffic suggesting that the Jaunty release was not stable at all.
My system was locking up continuously.  I'm currently running Kubuntu 9-04 32-
bit along with Audacity, Renoise, Ardour, Jack etc with no issues.

What I had to do was compile my own kernel after applying the real-time patch.
Grab the latest kernel source from kernel.org.  Ingo Molnar's real-time
patch(rt) is also available there.  Apply the patch and go through the normal
'make menu-config' or whatever process you use.  Be sure to set preemption to
'Complete'.

My system is now rock solid running the real-time kernel.

Hope this helps.

Adrian.