[Video] Willingness to pay the proper people

Paul Wayper paulway at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 18 15:07:39 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Ansell"
To:"Paul Wayper"
Sent:Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:55:01 +1000
Subject:Re: [Video] Willingness to pay the proper people

  The main fear, as I see it, with going with a company to record
video from LCA is the loss of control  We lose control of the output
formats, we lose the ability to correct things afterward, and it's
more difficult - and costly - to change things as needed during the
conference.
 I think some of this is lack actually doing specification of your
requirements. For example; if you want the output in free formats
REQUIRE THAT IN THE CONTRACT. The fact that it is missing from the
contract would be like missing the fact that you want a room for 500
people rather than 10!
Yeah, good luck with that.  Because I suspect most companies are
built to just deliver the final product and will just refuse to work
with something that requires that kind of internal control.  And I
also wouldn't trust it to just be a crappy, low-quality Theora
re-encode of the h.264 output.
Yes, specifying it in the contract is the right way to solve the
problem, but it begs the question of whether you can get them to sign
the contract with that requirement.
Anyway, I think this list is more interested in keeping our own
control of video production and using FOSS to achieve it :-)
Have fun,
Paul