[Video] Willingness to pay the proper people

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Tue Jun 18 14:55:01 EST 2013

> The main fear, as I see it, with going with a company to record video from
> LCA is the loss of control.  We lose control of the output formats, we lose
> the ability to correct things afterward, and it's more difficult - and
> costly - to change things as needed during the conference.

I think some of this is lack actually doing specification of your
requirements. For example; if you want the output in free formats *require
that in the contract*. The fact that it is missing from the contract would
be like missing the fact that you want a room for 500 people rather than 10!

> LCA could pay a professional video company $150,000 and have the whole
> shrink-wrapped package done and the MP4s delivered (badly labeled and with
> no titles or credits) hands-off.

I wouldn't be hiring them again if they did that (and also argue that they
didn't fulfil the requirements we specified). $150,000 should be getting
you better quality than that - even if they use a bucket load of cheap
labour rather than automated methods.

Tim