[Video] Current state of the art for conference recording

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Jun 17 23:50:48 EST 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> So I thought I'd quickly document what the current state is;
>
> TwinPac for VGA capture to DV,
>
> Firewire based camera for presenter using DV,
>
> Going into DVSwitch (pretty much as described by
> http://dvswitch.alioth.debian.org/wiki/large_meeting/)
>
> veypar is used for conferences to allow quick processing of the large amount
> of video, splitting into talks and uploading to YouTube/pyvideo/other.
>
> Going into Flumotion or Icecast for Live Streaming (least tested)
>

> The current setup has been well tested and I believe well understood.
>
> However, the current setup has some limitations;
>
> Currently only SD resolution
>
> Getting features into DVSwitch is painful
>
> TwinPac is End-Of-Life and impossible to purchase new anymore
>
> Laptop's no longer have Firewire ports so ExpressCards must be used and have
> a tendency to pop-out
>
> Firewire Cameras are becoming impossible to find
>
> Poor ability to integrate with other online systems such as HangOuts, etc
>
> Requires significant expert knowledge to run smoothly
>
> Requires 2 people per room.
>

> Have I missed anything? What do you guys think?

Audio - which maybe is out of scope, but I think it should be mentioned.

Requires 2 people - I think that should be better defined.    1 person
can do it all, so I would not say "requires."
"recommended" maybe?   I think what is a requirement is having a 2nd
person for redundancy to being fault tolerant, and that will be the
case regardless of what the people are doing.

And then once I have the 2 people in a room, I load them both up with
work, and I keep finding more things for them to do.  I need to make
sure I don't over commit so if one person drops the remaining person
won't be able to handle everything.

--
Carl K