[Video] Current state of the art for conference recording

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Mon Jun 17 17:50:59 EST 2013

Hey guys,

So I thought I'd quickly document what the current state is;

   - TwinPac for VGA capture to DV,

   - Firewire based camera for presenter using DV,

   - Going into DVSwitch (pretty much as described by
   http://dvswitch.alioth.debian.org/wiki/large_meeting/)

   - veypar is used for conferences to allow quick processing of the large
   amount of video, splitting into talks and uploading to
   YouTube/pyvideo/other.

   - Going into Flumotion or Icecast for Live Streaming (least tested)

The current setup has been well tested and I believe well understood.

However, the current setup has some limitations;

   - Currently only SD resolution

   - Getting features into DVSwitch is painful

   - TwinPac is End-Of-Life and impossible to purchase new anymore

   - Laptop's no longer have Firewire ports so ExpressCards must be used
   and have a tendency to pop-out

   - Firewire Cameras are becoming impossible to find

   - Poor ability to integrate with other online systems such as HangOuts,
   etc

   - Requires significant expert knowledge to run smoothly

   - Requires 2 people per room.

Have I missed anything? What do you guys think?

Tim