[Linux-aus] Linux Australia has voted in favour of removing Mr Stuart Benjamin as the Chair of auDA

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Thu Jul 27 14:49:25 AEST 2017

Hi everyone,

In line with our organisational values of openness, respect and
transparency, I'd like to communicate to you a decision that Council has
today taken regarding the Special General Meeting (SGM) of auDA - the
Australian Domain name regulator. Linux Australia is a member of auDA in
the Demand Class (ie we consume domain name services, we do not provide
them).

There has been recent controversy over how auDA, which underwent a
leadership change in 2016, is currently operating with regard to
transparency of decisions, and availability of previously-available
decision making instruments such as minutes. A group of members of auDA
(of which Linux Australia was not a part) has requested an SGM, and one
of the motions at that SGM is to remove the current Chair, Mr Stuart
Benjamin, effecting change in leadership in the organisation.

After consultation with other Council members, this afternoon I signed a
proxy vote form, requesting that Mr Ned O'Meara act as our proxy at this
meeting, and vote to remove Mr Benjamin.

The specific text of the instruction is below, and I am happy to make
the proxy vote form available on request.

As always, your feedback, comments, and concerns - are always welcomed
to this list, or privately to any of Council.

With kind regards,

Kathy