[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 03 June 2014

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Jun 15 21:46:54 EST 2014

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:21:35 Mark Ellem wrote:
> Exactly. While I see the benefits of LCA being peer-reviewed, I fear it
> could also affect barriers of entry. While it's always a task to create
> the right formula for a conf, going too far in formality could cause
> serious damage.

While I still don't know what exactly is involved in making it peer-reviewed,
I can't imagine why this would be any sort of barrier to entry.

Presumably someone who offers a talk could just tick a box on the web site
saying "I don't want to go through the university credit process" and be
assessed in the same way as all the previous LCAs.  Of course this would have
to be clearly explained to speakers.

I don't think that LCA lacks in offers of speaking, it's one of the most
prestigious Linux conferences.

One thing that I think could be improved is support for getting new speakers.
LCA is a fairly intimidating conference to offer a talk for.