[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Fri Apr 27 12:21:31 EST 2012

To make a counter point to Chris, having Linux Australia as the backer for
the first two PyCon AU's was an obvious advantage.

Linux Australia has established itself has being able to finance and run
good conferences, going to sponsors and say "we have the backing of the
same people who do Linux.conf.au" was a great way to get people over the
"your a new conference" hump. Linux Australia already has relationships
with a lot of our previous sponsors and thought of kindly. It was very easy
to sign sponsors who had dealt with LCA and had a good time without having
to do too much selling. Having a group which has been around for 10(?)
years gives confidence over a new kid on the block.

Obviously this is changing now that PyCon AU has successfully run for two
years and has established itself. I believe Chris is also targeting people
who might not have been targeted previously and thus running against new
problems.

On a side note, Microsoft Australia had no problems that they explained to
us sponsoring a conference run by Linux Australia.

Tim