[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Apr 26 19:47:39 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 01:40 -0400, James Turnbull wrote:

> > So, you think that sponsors are NOT going to expect you explain who
> > <insert some open source generalised name> organisation is?  You're
> > kidding yourself, come back,  reality needs you.
> >

> Chris has spent more than enough time - by my count 20 odd emails worth
> - - emailing his issue in explicit detail. Sticking our heads in the sand

Actually, I couldn't care if he'd sent 200 emails, he's saying much the
exact same thing every time, indicates he is desperate for a name change
for his POV, if he is so concerned as he had made it clear he is, then
his organisation should become their own legal entity, it is the only
way there will be an end to "Who is this third party".

> denying his perspective seems both arrogant and offensive.

 Ah the old offensive and arrogant line, thanks, but if I want childish
and battle-losing comments like that, I'll pop on to undernet and  piss
off some 16yo kid.

and It maters not where his head is, if my business donates/sponsors
something, I will want to know about it and to whom I'm paying if their
name is different, and to think that someone would stay clear simply
because the name "linux" is in it, is in itself arrogance, and I'd be
asking myself, WTF would I want to do business with them in the first
place.

If you want the kill off the roots, and have a name change and
restructure, go for it, but relinquish "Linux Australia", so the name
can be snapped up and used as it was originally intended to be.

Its a shame, as someone else pointed out, that this same energy was not
spent promoting linux.