[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 12:34:08 EST 2012

Hi Tim,

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:21, Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.com> wrote:
> To make a counter point to Chris, having Linux Australia as the backer for
> the first two PyCon AU's was an obvious advantage.

I'm very pleased to have both the records of the first two PyCons AU,
as well as the backing of LA behind me for this year's conference.
The reputation of PyCon AU amongst previous delegates and past
sponsors, and the backing of LA is what makes running the conference
so easy from our end.

> Obviously this is changing now that PyCon AU has successfully run for two
> years and has established itself. I believe Chris is also targeting people
> who might not have been targeted previously and thus running against new
> problems.

Indeed.  Organisations that have not been involved in LCA or PyCon AU
in the past are very fertile ground for us.  You will note that of our
sponsors (as listed at http://2012.pycon-au.org/sponsors/sponsors),
three of our announced sponsors have not had past links with LA.  A
fourth (Gold sponsor, no less) is about to be announced.

> On a side note, Microsoft Australia had no problems that they explained to
> us sponsoring a conference run by Linux Australia.

And they continue to have no problem with it.  Indeed, Microsoft's
FOSS developer relations guy feels that the governance structure of LA
conferences is amongst the easiest for Microsoft to deal with.  I
think that's pretty cool.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer