[Linux-aus] LUG Videoing Grants Proposal

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Sat Feb 9 16:06:59 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:07:49PM +1100, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> There are a whole lot of impossibilities in your request, and I'm not even
> going to try explaining why.

> However, I believe all that you are really asking for is for Ogg Theora
> files to be embedded in Web pages and to be embeddable in blogs. This
> exists.

Yeah, that's what I came to. I really should write emails _after_
thinking about it, rather that during... -_-

That and having low-bitrate files available for embedding, given the
size such clips play in. Of course, the below-mentioned download link
should point to the full-size version, I'd think, or offer both...

> If you go to
> http://www.annodex.org/events/lca2008_mmm/pmwiki.php/Main/Schedule you will
> find the videos of the LCA Multimedia miniconf embedded in the page (it's
> running pmwiki). It is using a "video" tag that is about to be standardised
> in HTML5 and a javascript library called mv_embed (
> http://metavid.ucsc.edu/blog/2008/01/29/mv_embed-6/) which was just added to
> the wiki to make the embed work. If you click on the buttons around the
> keyframe, you will see the functionality. The bottom right enables you to
> copy a embed tag into your blog.

> Might this be the best and most open source conformant solution to your
> problem? (Since it's just about impossible that we will see Ogg Theora any
> time soon work inside flash).

That looks like it's pretty much what I actually wanted.

Sadly, I'm currently booted into my MS Windows XP x64 installation,
which doesn't have Java or Flash, and VLC doesn't have a 64-bit windows
build so I don't get a plugin for that either. _This_ issue doesn't
worry me, I'm only in MS Windows every couple of months on this laptop,
and no one else I know runs x64 MS Windows.

I'll have to try from Linux later, and see if VLC works as a plugin
there. (I know 64-bit Java doesn't, but I do have 32-bit Flash working
via nspluginwrapper... If only there was an MS Windows equivalent...)

I realise you didn't write the javascript, but it confuses me every time
when I click 'play' and the thing disappears and is replaced by text
that blends in with the rest of the text on the page. I wish it kept the
frame or something (ideally, the frame size shouldn't change, so I can
see easily that it's telling me I don't have a player.)

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Shorter .sig for a more eco-friendly paperless office.