[Linux-aus] Authorised Members (was: Nomination for Ordinary Committee Members)

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Thu Jan 12 10:50:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:22, Steve Walsh wrote:

> Nearly every LCA has a Key signing, and nearly every LUG has a Keysigning.
> Surely we can use that to class members as Verified or Un-Verified.

How many LUGs have them regularly?  How many users keep their keys updated? It
is only useful as a membership tool if the web of trust is up-to-date and can
itself be trusted.   As I said previously, PLUG hasn't had a keysigning since
about 2001-2 and there was a minuscule turnout to it despite it being widely
promoted in the community.  From that experience I took away the message that
the vast majority of PLUGgers weren't interested, didn't care, or didn't know
anything about public keys or their uses.  In many cases it was all three. If
the other LUGs are similar then it is hardly something I'd want to base LA's
membership verification on.

skribe
--
Fay: The British police force used to be run by men of integrity.
Truscott: That is a mistake which has been rectified.

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/