[Linux-aus] Spam on the lists, mailman upgrades and making people happy

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Mon Mar 29 20:38:38 UTC 2004

Chris Yeoh (among some others) recently pointed out some new UI
improvements in the new version of mailman that would allow us to
combine the features that everybody wants in a usable way.

Our admin team will be working on integrating our local changes to
mailman (if still needed) in with the new version, so in the
not-so-distant future we'll see the new version go into action, and the
amount of spam getting to the lists should be greatly reduced.

We'll be able to:
- restrict posts to members, except when approved
- whitelist non-subscribers
- block more spam

We'll also be checking that the latest SA release is being run on
digital. We are reluctant to use too much of the learning and
blacklisting features of SA due to the extra load and latency this would
introduce.

Please remember that real human time does need to be spent before this
is implemented - so give our team some time. Hopefully the spam will
decrease.

thanks to Chris and others for their contribution - it's really
appreciated.
--
Stewart Smith (stewart at linux.org.au)
Vice President, Linux Australia