[Osia-discuss] Re: [Linux-aus] MEDIA RELEASE: Open Source Industry Australia - National Body Launched

Scott McClintock scott at mu.com.au
Tue Mar 2 07:31:01 UTC 2004

Hi All,

Con, I agree...

I think it is very important that the role of OSIA is clearly
understood.  Convincing government and business of the value and
strength of FOSS has more to do with "business" issues than "technical"
issues.  Getting the message out that there are already major mission
critical applications based on FOSS running all around Australia at all
levels of business and government is the key.  The technical and cost
advantages tend to sell themselves after that.  I have found time and
time again that when I demonstrate what some of my customers have been
doing with FOSS for years, previously skeptical people take a second
look and start getting interested (after they stop giving me stunned
looks :).

This to a large extent was the ground covered in our little informal
OSIA chat held here in Brisbane last night.... thanks to Adam, Arjen &
John for an interesting and informative time.

regards

Scott

Scott McClintock                             Email: scott at mu.com.au
Managing Director                            Phone: 07 3253 1222
MU Systems Pty Ltd                             Web: http://www.mu.com.au
Brisbane, Australia