[Osia-discuss] Re: [Linux-aus] MEDIA RELEASE: Open Source Industry Australia - National Body Launched

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Tue Mar 2 07:37:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:48:26AM +1030, Brenda Aynsley wrote:

> are you kidding, incorporation costs about $125 dollars and model
> constitutions abound?  Unless we were doing something really special one of
> these constitutions would suffice - that's how both waia and saia came
> about :-).  Of course an incorporated body can be held more easily
> accountable for its actions, than an unincorporated body - and be sued as a
> result but we can also arrange insurance cover for its directors more
> easily.  Most governments wont deal with unincorporated groups, and I am
> actually gob-smacked that the Vic government actually gave OSV, as an
> unincorporated entity, money.  This runs counter to everything I've ever
> known about governmental behaviour.

And yet, they did ;-)

The issue had probably more to do with the effort involved in 'planting &
gardening and weeding' an incorported body, as opposed to just getting on
with the work we are supposed to be doing, which is exactly what we've
done.

> [snip]
>

> >I guess that would be up to the group at that time. Obviously, if there's
> >a groundwell of interest in keeping it going, so be it. However, I think
> >our best possible exit-strategy is that in 2010 (a mere 6 years away) we
> >will no longer need to exist, as FOSS will be omnipresent and totally
> >accepted by industry & government, as a fundamental and viable platform.
> >

> It may not exist for the reasons we claim at present but that doesnt mean
> it might not morph into something else which can benefit from the history
> and reputation which OSIA would have accrued by then in order to carry out
> its mission.

Of course. No one can foretell. I'm not suggesting that it's a fait
accompli that this organisation should sunset in 6 years, but that we
should keep in mind that it's our goals which are important, not the
organisation nor the politics within the organisation.

> However I think we will make inroads in the 6 years envisaged but the job
> will not be over by a long shot IMHO.

ack ;-)

Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477