[Lias] Red Hat substitutes

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at cisra.canon.com.au
Mon Jan 12 09:59:02 UTC 2004

Not sure whether you need to go to the enterprise edition but Oracle
seem to support SuSE (at least as per this page
http://oracleadvisor.com/doc/12273)

FileMaker would seem more of an issue.... it lists "linux" as one of its
supported platforms (which seems to mean redhat from user comments) but
doesn't list BSD.

Roger Buck wrote:
> Hi Andrew - Long time no contact :)

Still living though ;-)

> Andrew Dorrell wrote:
>
>> I am surprised that SuSE has not appeared in this discussion.
>
> [--snip--]
>
> Roger Buck wrote:
>
>>> The only reason for the "RedHattedness" is the need to support some
>>> third part products (currently only available for installation on RH
>>> distros).
>

> The reasons for including OSXS and FreeBSD (although only "lastly"), is
> that AFAIK, some of those RedHat based third party products (including
> but not limited to Filemaker and Oracle) are/were also certified for
> those platforms... so maybe I should add SuSE to the list?
>
> The reason for SuSE omission: I think SuSE may also be certified for
> some of these products (though not "all"), ... and only if you purchase
> the SuSE "Enterprise Server" version?... which brings us back to the
> start of this thread ;^)
>
> Solely because of reasons mentioned in quoted snippet above, we _may_
> still have no option but to install a Redhat based distro for some of
> our clients? These are the same reasons that are still compelling many
> to support MSWindows (both on the desktop and server).
>
> We _are_ still looking, but there's just not enough hours in the day to
> become sufficiently proficient to reasonably evaluate every alternative
> distro.
>
> In summary: We're still open to persuasive arguments, but Honourable
> providers must always be prepared to eat the dog food they provide...
> despite undoubtedly preferring an alternative when dining alone <grin>
>
> R.

Andrew Dorrell