[Lias] Red Hat substitutes

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Jan 1 10:13:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:42, Roger Buck wrote:
> Test System: Intel P4 HT + GigaByte GA-8IG1000 pro motherboard (Intel
> 865G chipset). This is a "modern" hardware system suitable for normal
> home/office use but is by no means "leading edge"

Mandrake 9.2 works fine on an 865G. If you want the l33t3st performance
out of it, pull XFree86 4.4 from Cooker as an SRPM and rebuild it<*>
(rpm -bb Xfree86.spec) but it worked fine OotB on both of the 865
systems I've tried it on.

Cheers; Leon

<*> I needed XFree86 sources anyway to patch for a multi-head multi-user
system, so I grabbed the latest and they seem to work fine (on several
Radeon 9200SE's and this Intel 855GM-based laptop, at least). The
2.6.0-1mdk kernel from Cooker has also been blipless but I need to port
my (Minitar) wireless LAN card's drivers for it.

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia