[Lias] Red Hat substitutes

Roger Buck rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Mon Jan 12 09:26:02 UTC 2004

Hi Andrew - Long time no contact :)

Andrew Dorrell wrote:
> I am surprised that SuSE has not appeared in this discussion.
[--snip--]

Roger Buck wrote:
>> The only reason for the "RedHattedness" is the need to support some
>> third part products (currently only available for installation on RH
>> distros).

The reasons for including OSXS and FreeBSD (although only "lastly"), is
that AFAIK, some of those RedHat based third party products (including
but not limited to Filemaker and Oracle) are/were also certified for
those platforms... so maybe I should add SuSE to the list?

The reason for SuSE omission: I think SuSE may also be certified for
some of these products (though not "all"), ... and only if you purchase
the SuSE "Enterprise Server" version?... which brings us back to the
start of this thread ;^)

Solely because of reasons mentioned in quoted snippet above, we _may_
still have no option but to install a Redhat based distro for some of
our clients? These are the same reasons that are still compelling many
to support MSWindows (both on the desktop and server).

We _are_ still looking, but there's just not enough hours in the day to
become sufficiently proficient to reasonably evaluate every alternative
distro.

In summary: We're still open to persuasive arguments, but Honourable
providers must always be prepared to eat the dog food they provide...
despite undoubtedly preferring an alternative when dining alone <grin>

R.