[Lias] Red Hat substitutes

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at cisra.canon.com.au
Mon Jan 12 06:54:02 UTC 2004

I am surprised that SuSE has not appeared in this discussion.  It is a
very polished and comprehensive distro with a good installer that always
receives good reviews, has an online update system that works (and
doesn't require maintenance payments)????

Roger Buck wrote:
> Ken Yap wrote:
> [--snip--]
>
>> reviews of Fedora/White Box, etc. What about
>> MDK, are you going to review that?
>

> Am open to persuasion but this was what I intended to look at:
>
>  1. Centos-3 (http://www.caosity.org/)
>  2. Whitebox
>
> ... and if the above fail...
>  3. RHEL 3
>
> .. and lastly...
>  4. MDK
>  5. FreeBSD 5.x
>  6. OSXWS
>
> I also spent a _lot_ of time evaluating OSX Server 10.1 and 10.2 last year.
>
> Our desired outcome is to find a free replacement for legacy RH that
> will provide reasonable probability of long term supply for patches and
> security updates.
>
> The only reason for the "RedHattedness" is the need to support some
> third part products (currently only available for installation on RH
> distros).
>
> Thanks to prev msg here, RHEL is now cheap enough for school use (in the
> $ sense) but goes to the bottom of the list because "free" (in the open
> sense) is preferable.
>
> To be honest, I don't think any of them are ideal solutions for the
> problem as stated.
>
> If I were simply making a choice about what I'd prefer to use myself,
> then that would be much easier :)
>
> R.
>

> PS: Does anyone know if Filemaker Server (any flavour) has been ported /
> installed on *BSD or any non-RH linux flavour(s) (excluding OSXS)?

Andrew Dorrell PhD.        Senior Research Engineer
Canon Information Systems Research Australia     Phone: 61 2 9805 2224
1 Thomas Holt Drive,  North Ryde,  NSW 2113.     Fax:   61 2 9805 2865