[Lias] Red Hat substitutes

Roger Buck rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Thu Jan 1 11:21:02 UTC 2004

Ken Yap wrote:
[--snip--]
> reviews of Fedora/White Box, etc. What about
> MDK, are you going to review that?

Am open to persuasion but this was what I intended to look at:

  1. Centos-3 (http://www.caosity.org/)
  2. Whitebox

... and if the above fail...
  3. RHEL 3

.. and lastly...
  4. MDK
  5. FreeBSD 5.x
  6. OSXWS

I also spent a _lot_ of time evaluating OSX Server 10.1 and 10.2 last year.

Our desired outcome is to find a free replacement for legacy RH that
will provide reasonable probability of long term supply for patches and
security updates.

The only reason for the "RedHattedness" is the need to support some
third part products (currently only available for installation on RH
distros).

Thanks to prev msg here, RHEL is now cheap enough for school use (in the
$ sense) but goes to the bottom of the list because "free" (in the open
sense) is preferable.

To be honest, I don't think any of them are ideal solutions for the
problem as stated.

If I were simply making a choice about what I'd prefer to use myself,
then that would be much easier :)

R.

PS: Does anyone know if Filemaker Server (any flavour) has been ported /
installed on *BSD or any non-RH linux flavour(s) (excluding OSXS)?