[Lias] user quotas

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Mon Aug 27 20:17:04 UTC 2001

At 16:17 27/08/2001, you wrote:
>On 27/8/01 4:08 PM, "Simon Bryan" <sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > Q1: How easy would it be to set all the permissions so that they could all
> > only access their own directory?
>
>Assuming that all users have an account on the linux box, and that the home
>directory is owned by the user, all you should have to do is make sure that
>the directory is rwx by the owner only (chmod 700).

Was kind of  hoping avoiding having two userbases, NT and Linux

> > Q2: What are my options with respect to managing disk quotas? Students and
> > staff will use all they can get and never delete or zip anything if they
> > don't have to and with 900 students and 100 staff disk space can be quickly
> > used up.
>Filesystem quota's will be honoured by samba. Set up a disk quota under
>linux and it will be enforced in windows.
True, but is there a package that will notify the user as the limit is
aproached?

> > Q3: Are there any other problems I have overlooked in my naivety?
>
>Make sure that you are using clear text passwords - there is a FAQ with
>samba that you should read a few times before introducing this in
>production.

Yes, I have Samba running on all three Linux servers here. But from NT4 SP4
(I think) you have to use encrypted passwords. Why the recommendation fro
clear text passwords?

Simon Bryan
IT Manager
OLMC Parramatta