[Lias] user quotas

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Mon Aug 27 16:08:04 UTC 2001

Hi all,
Am looking for some collective wisdom.
I am considering moving all my Windows NT user home directories off the NT
server and putting them on a Linux server. I can use Samba to share the
directories. Actually what we have done on the NT system is to share the
root directory of all the user home directories and then have the
permissions set to prevent users accessing the wrong directories, this is
achieved through batch files and scripts so we don't have to do them
individually.

Q1: How easy would it be to set all the permissions so that they could all
only access their own directory?

Q2: What are my options with respect to managing disk quotas? Students and
staff will use all they can get and never delete or zip anything if they
don't have to and with 900 students and 100 staff disk space can be quickly
used up.

Q3: Are there any other problems I have overlooked in my naivety?

Simon Bryan
IT Manager
OLMC Parramatta
http://www.olmc.nsw.edu.au