[Lias] Adding IDE drive to SCSI system

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Thu Aug 30 11:37:08 UTC 2001

Hi all.
(Another question from the dumby!)

I have RH7 running on a HPE40, which has SCSI HDD's. No problems. However,
the partition that stores a lot of user data is filling rapidly. So I
thought add another disk drive and then mount it as that directory, that
should work right (will have to move exisiting data first).
eg the directory is /var/auc/courses, copy all the files out of there,
install the new HDD and have it mounted as /var/auc/courses

If this is feasible, would this work if the new drive is an IDE drive
rather than SCSI (not worried about speed of access)?
Is there a HOW TO somewhere to tell me how to accomplish the installation,
formatting and mounting of a new drive? (About to go and look myself but
thought I would ask anyway)

Simon Bryan
IT Manager
OLMC Parramatta