[Grants] Grant Application from Jade Ambrose for Merri-bek Tech Raspberri Pi / Wikipedia hosting course

Jade Ambrose jade at hopepunk.me
Mon Jul 8 14:00:52 AEST 2024

Super great points Kathy. I'm the Jade who made the application, so I won't try to sell it further, but I have some answers and updates regarding your questions:

ABN
Merri-bek Tech Inc. is an incorporated association in Victoria. Association number A0122553Y. We haven't applied for an ABN net, but could easily do so in order to receive money.

Insurance
Breaking news this morning, the Neighbourhood House has just offered to cover us with their liability insurance (they initially refused). That means that's off the roadmap for now. We will likely still have issues with that going forward as we want to end up running things at multiple sites and leaving servers running at those sites. Becoming a linux australia subcommittee is one posible solution, as is getting our own insurance. For now though, we can defer that question until after this three month program, and scrap that from the proposed budget.

Business model
We are building a non-profit, not a social enterprise. It's not clear if we will charge in order to cover our break even costs, but that isn't on the road map for this year.

Auspicing
I've had a couple of chats with linux australia about the subcommittee model, and it's interesting (particularly as we'd live our Merri-bek Tech approach to be replicable in other geographies without having to incorporate). However, I'd like to leave that as a seperate conversation that we can have throughout the year (since we are already incporporated). So, for now I'm applying for a grant from Linux Australia on the assumption that we are a seperate organisation not a subcommittee, although obviously a number of us are linux australia members and supporters of linux australia goals.

Curriculum
We'd love to see this open as well. Making something useable by others takes a lot of work, but we'd be willing to commit to at least ensuring that any materials we do produce are CC licensed as a starting point.