[Debian-au] Wrap-up [Was: SLUG Debian SIG]

Craige McWhirter Craige.McWhirter at BabcockBrown.com
Thu Aug 9 03:42:46 UTC 2001

Despite lacking a speaker and having to share premises with an 18 y/o
girls birthday party, another successful Debian SIG was had by all. Some
highlights:

- Got the webcam working but no-one had install any apps to drive it
- Peter Hardy brought in his hardware hacked luggable computer, very
niftily upgraded from a 386 to a P90 (had to be seen).
- Chris brought in a "Telxon PTC-1194 Industrial Laptop" which had a
Magnesium Alloy case and detachable touch screen.
- Played with some USB goodness.
- Thom May brought in the funkiest laptop, a Sony Vaio not
available in Australia (PCG-SR21K).
- Mucked around with some DELL laptops

Essentially, everyone got hands on with some interesting hardware and
got into some good conversions about all things kernel and Debian.
During one abortive go on my laptop with the web cam Tony Green determined
that all devices should work with drivers of other devices that are
within in 6 degrees of seperation. It was generally agreed that this was
fair and Linus will be contacted regarding this post haste.

Thus spake Craige McWhirter (Craige.McWhirter at BabcockBrown.com):

> Late Breaking News:
>
> There will also be an attempt to webcast the SIG if we can jag a
> phone line and get the USB devices functioning. We'll post if we
> succeed.
>
> Stay tuned.
>
> Thus spake Craige McWhirter (Craige.McWhirter at BabcockBrown.com):
>
> > It's tonight! If you've got something luggable bring it (but don't
> > leave it in your car). This is shaping up to be an evening of good food
> > and kernel hackiness.
> >
> > Bring your favourite kernel source with you :)
> >
> > Thus spake Craige McWhirter (Craige.McWhirter at BabcockBrown.com):
> >
> > > This month we had the misfortune of a speaker having to withdraw at
> > > the last gasp and as the projector got stolen from my workplace the
> > > promised fall-back of a "Computer Boy" movie screening will not be
> > > available.
> > >
> > > It has been suggested that we have an open discussion on "Debian, 2.4.x
> > > kernels, pitfalls and high points" especially as many of our Debian
> > > users run Debian on a variety of hardware architectures and one has been
> > > rumoured to have got hot-plug hardware/USB devices working.
> > >
> > > Hope to see you there.
> > >
> > > Here are the gritty details:
> > >
> > > Where: Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel - boardroom (upstairs)
> > > When: Wednesday, 8th August 19:00-20:00 (food from 18:30)
> > > Cost: $0,
> > >       $10 if you pre-order tea/coffee
> > > Misc: Dinner, alcohol are available
> > > Fasc: Boardroom, power, whiteboard - possibly a TV
> > >
> > > There is secure-ish parking at the Domain Car Park and street/lot
> > > parking around the two pubs.
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
>       Craige.