[Cbsupport] Hard drive

Kylie Davies mailkylie at optushome.com.au
Sat Jun 12 08:42:02 UTC 2004

Hi Avery,

The maxtor drive will be able to have Linux installed on it.

QN: Does anybody know if there are any issues with newer hard
drives on older type motherboards (ie PII class systems?).

If there are no issues, then, you could probably put the drive on
the cable that your current hard drive is plugged onto (ie taking
the other hard drive out), or, if you have another ide cable and
connector - you could put both hard drives in. I don't think you
can put the hard drive on the same cable even if there is space
because the access speeds will probably be different. ??

Because I lack the expertise and knowledge to adequately advise
you how to install the system so it has two disks... I encourage
you to do it the easier way..ie one hard drive only (pending the
answer to the question posed)...until we hear from some 'expert'
help on the cbsupport list. ??

Word of warning: If you have a Compaq computer - they can be very
difficult to work with when installing hard drives due to
(sometimes) weird case fit outs.  :)

If you stick the new drive where the old drive is...you should be
able to install Knoppix to the hard drive.

I will forward a guide (in draft form) for the installation of
Knoppix 3.4 on Computerbank systems so that you can be better
informed.

Cheers and hope this helps,

Kylie