[Cbsupport] Knoopix reinstall with OO.o 1.1

hortnfash hortnfash at dodo.com.au
Tue Feb 17 21:36:02 UTC 2004

Hi All
Well I was told by LUV that I needed OO.o1.1 not OO.o1.3 as it was
better than MS Word and you can save documents a PDF and you should be
able to fax modem.

I tried before but I couldn't get my sourseslist right and I think I
broke the program.
Meanwhile I aquired a Morphix CD which had Mozilla and OO.o1.1 on it and
tried to install it on the harddrive but the Knoppix had left reminants
on it.

I downloaded the latest version of Knoppix on the doze box and Nero
burned the ISO but on the CD-R.  It did not work on the Linux Box, but
it did on the doze box.

Every search I came accross after installing Knoppix was to go to
www.openoffice.org sit and download OO.o from there and remove purge the
old one and untar move and build it.  Well that's too hard for me
still.  I found a link stating 2 sites for source list one being Rick
Moen for US and another one for Australia sorry I don't have the link
but I think I might have got it from www.knoppix.net or a link to Rick
Moen's site.  I kdesu kate in root and altered the german source list to
the au.debian.org one, After reinstalling the Knoppix 3.3 I bought
earlier.  This time I am very close to the source list except for the
java part.  So I apt-get installed dmake as it said it builds OO.o and
then I apt-get install myspell-en-gb as from googling it seems to be the
closest to  Au spelling for OO.o and then I apt-get installed
openoffice.org which came with other packages and it took under 5 hours
dialup.  It all unpacked and installed and I opened it and sure enough
it was the new version with the pdf icon on the toolbar.  Great so I did
it. Of course I then did an apt-get update, apt-get clean & autoclean

Now I have to see what I can do about my soundcard I found something in
the cbv files uploaded so I will try that and I have looked and seen I
have dma and I found some instructions on turning it onto to increase
the speed of the fsck process.

Then all I have to do is work out what is wrong with the USB that it
won't recognise our Kodak CX6200 Camera.  Or at least it does and it can
see it on USB View and kde info centre and it is on the suppport list,
but apparently I have to configure the kernel USBs or somthing so that
will take a while in googling. Late I want to see if I can update
Mozilla 1.4 as the one I have on the doze box Moz 1.6 has spell check
and I am shocking at spelling and then get the jar installer to get a
new theme.  I really like toy factory it is so cheary.  Its too bad you
can't apt-get install mozilla or at least I couldn't find it when I did
and apt-cache search, unless its the dummy or the browser core?

So I can produce better documents than with MsWord
I can email, fax, scan, print and just have to get the souncard working
and the camera working and then except for a few program CD's David has
that can only be used on Windoze unless I can use blochs because I can't
use wine.  We hardly need to use Windoze at all.  Infact I am wondering
if I can install Knoppix with the doze XP as there is a NTS partitian
maker on Knoppix, but I have to do more searching.  In fact David is
really comming around to Linux now.  He has some 3D Car games and he has
found that Tux Racer is just as good and even has more options than the
Car game demos he has.. Only its not very good at 128mb RAm but as we
have it on Morphix-Combined Games live CD he can use it on the 256mb RAm.

I really like how Knoppix quickly configs most peripherals, like the
scanner and printer with cups,  It puts you off to a good start.  I
really love Knoppix and Mozilla.

This is for providing information really, but if you like you can tell
me if I can apt-get install mozilla to update it to a newer version or
not?  Otherwise I prefer to firstly try out doing the other things myself
regards
Avery