[Aslug] Requesting library to purchase books / resources

Ken T professorsnapper at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 18:50:06 EST 2010

Folks,

At the last ASLUG meeting, the idea was floated of getting the Alice Public
Library to update its IT collection, which is presently a bit outdated and
ho-hum (and not especially FLOSS-friendly).

I'd like to put this idea on the table again, and to garner ideas for
suitable titles / resources. My $0.02 would be that it's desirable to get
books, etc which won't date too quickly, are broadly applicable and are
likely to be appealing to a significant number of people. Another criteria
could be books that draw people into the LUG scene..

To that end, I'll suggest a couple of titles to get the ball rolling. Once
we've got some contenders for purchase, maybe we can put in a group request,
to lend weight to the library's purchase decision...

The below suggestions are all on Python or Object-oriented programming (or
both). Feel free to suggest other topics...

**************
Python programming for the absolute beginner
http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-3rd/dp/1435455002/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269848250&sr=1-6

Head First Design Patterns
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596007124/?tag=sollc-intl-20

Design Patterns: Elements of reuseable object-oriented software
http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Elements-Reusable-Object-Oriented/dp/0201633612/ref=pd_cp_b_1

Python Essential Reference - Beazley
http://www.amazon.com/Python-Essential-Reference-David-Beazley/dp/0672329786/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

Programming in Python 3 - A complete introduction to the Python language
(2nd ed.)
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Python-Complete-Introduction-Language/dp/0321680561/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Learning Python - powerful object-oriented programming
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Python-Powerful-Object-Oriented-Programming/dp/0596158068/ref=pd_cp_b_1