[Linux-aus] contest proposal

Info info at petermoulding.com
Sat Jan 6 09:29:11 AEDT 2024

"exit without calling free() so that paged out memory doesn't get paged in before exit"
Memory in use will not be paged out and if it is freed immediately after use, there is no paging
problem.

There are also ways to reuse memory efficiently. The varies approaches are language dependent. They
were not taught in any of the programming classes I attended outside of those I ran. Perhaps there
could be training for people who help with open source code but may not have the experience to pick
up that type of problem.

On one Linux, I found the Bluetooth icon on the tool bar used 15 MB. Switching off Bluetooth using
the icon did not free up memory. I deleted the whole of Bluetooth as it was not needed. There must
be a way to have the on/off option use less than a megabyte and only load all the settings windows
etc if the option is on.