[Linux-aus] contest proposal

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Jan 6 15:31:00 AEDT 2024

On Saturday, 6 January 2024 09:29:11 AEDT Info via linux-aus wrote:
> "exit without calling free() so that paged out memory doesn't get paged in
> before exit" Memory in use will not be paged out and if it is freed
> immediately after use, there is no paging problem.

Memory that is only used for initialisation or used for features of the
program that are not selected is very common.

> On one Linux, I found the Bluetooth icon on the tool bar used 15 MB.
> Switching off Bluetooth using the icon did not free up memory. I deleted
> the whole of Bluetooth as it was not needed. There must be a way to have
> the on/off option use less than a megabyte and only load all the settings
> windows etc if the option is on.

One would hope that if you turned off Bluetooth in hardware settings the
system would detect that and shut down the applet.  I think that systemd is
heading in that direction.  If you do a Mobian install on a PinePhonePro with
Plasma Mobile then all the KDE stuff is started as Systemd units, but this
doesn't happen with the desktop version of KDE on Debian/Unstable.