[Linux-aus] contest proposal

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Jan 5 21:50:33 AEDT 2024

On Friday, 5 January 2024 15:35:41 AEDT Info via linux-aus wrote:
> I use valgrind for C. I do not know if there is an equivalent for other
> languages.

Valgrind is good for finding bugs in memory usage, but isn't designed to find
inefficiencies.  Allocate one byte less than needed and Valgrind can tell you,
allocate 1M more than needed and it won't.  It will tell you about memory that
was still allocated when the program exited, this can be memory that was
leaked but also could be a case of "exit without calling free() so that paged
out memory doesn't get paged in before exit".