[Linux-aus] [Linux-aus, abuse] Prince Alfred e-petition & coronation deadline

Brendan O'Dea bod at c47.org
Wed May 3 20:12:43 AEST 2023

On Wed, 3 May 2023 at 18:15, Joel Addison via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> For the benefit of list members - Daniel has not been a member of this
> list for a while now, nor any other LA lists. It is unfortunate that he
> continues to email people directly outside the mailing list, while
> pretending to be using the list, and while it would be great to be able to
> stop it altogether, unfortunately our spam filtering ability does not
> extend outside of our mail servers. We will continue to monitor to make
> sure the list is kept clear from him.

Daniel has played similar games with the Debian lists, after being removed
from the project (and the lists).  His modus operandi operandi appears to
be to grab the members of a list at some point, and then after being
removed, send mail directly to members of the list in a way that makes it
look like it was a list post.  Kind of a long game: I got a "debian-deve"
message *many* years after unsubscribing to that list.

While the list managers can't help because it isn't actually coming from
the list, his messages are actually pretty easy to filter since they
actually come from his email address rather than "via linux-aus".  Annoying
as it is to special-case a single individual, it is possible to add adding
filters for messages from "daniel at pocock.pro" or "daniel at pocock.com.au".