[Linux-aus] RISC-V

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Mar 25 15:23:23 AEDT 2023

On Saturday, 25 March 2023 12:45:28 AEDT Adam Nielsen via linux-aus wrote:
> > https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2023/02/visionfive-2-impressions.html
> >
> > Some of this recent RISC-V hardware seems pretty good.
>
> I had a look into it as I hadn't heard about this before.  So the main
> benefit over something like a Raspberry Pi seems to be that the RISC-V
> architecture is open and doesn't require royalty payments like ARM does.
>
> One of the big sticking points with the Pi was that the graphics
> hardware was closed for a long time, and it took years before Broadcom
> could be convinced to release documentation for it.  I can't find
> anything about how the graphics hardware works on this board, and
> whether it requires any binary blobs or custom kernel modules.  If
> OpenGL hardware acceleration just works out of the box with a vanilla
> kernel/userspace then that's definitely a plus from an open source
> perspective.

https://developer.imaginationtech.com/open-source-gpu-driver/

They appear to be making good progress in this regard.  Apparently due to some
issue of hardware or software 4K doesn't work so it's not quite there for a
desktop by today's standards, but for embedded stuff it's pretty good.  It
could make a nice kiosk system or sign management system.