[Linux-aus] RISC-V

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sat Mar 25 12:45:28 AEDT 2023

> https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2023/02/visionfive-2-impressions.html
>
> Some of this recent RISC-V hardware seems pretty good.

I had a look into it as I hadn't heard about this before.  So the main
benefit over something like a Raspberry Pi seems to be that the RISC-V
architecture is open and doesn't require royalty payments like ARM does.

One of the big sticking points with the Pi was that the graphics
hardware was closed for a long time, and it took years before Broadcom
could be convinced to release documentation for it.  I can't find
anything about how the graphics hardware works on this board, and
whether it requires any binary blobs or custom kernel modules.  If
OpenGL hardware acceleration just works out of the box with a vanilla
kernel/userspace then that's definitely a plus from an open source
perspective.

Cheers,
Adam.