[Linux-aus] Employing staff/Single Touch Payroll/MyGovID - help!

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Fri Jun 9 11:36:27 AEST 2023

On 6/8/2023 6:40 PM, Info via linux-aus wrote:
> Government Web sites are full of Javascript trackware. I send requests
> for privacy to government departments and our "representatives" in
> parliament but get few replies and only one site changed. The fact
> that politicians use those tools on their own sites for tracking us
> shows they neither care nor think about privacy. You could have a
> tough time ahead.
>
> Could we, as a group, make privacy or open source an issue for an
> election? That might get some government attention?

I'm sure you could, but it's an issue that seems to confuse many voters;
to be perfectly honest, the long game would be to "infiltrate" all of
the major political parties (ALP, LNP, and probably the Greens) and
ensure that the voice is heard from within somehow. Unless someone can
buy enough media/coverage (i.e. buy votes) to persuade the parties from
outside of their inner structure, this - I think - should be one
significant goal.

Then again, once one is in one of the main parties - especially one of
the groupings likely to be able to form Government (currently the ALP or
LNP -- but I wouldn't be surprised one day if that changes to ALP or
Greens...but never write off the LNP until they truly fade away) - one
finds that there's a whole plethora of issues in running countries and
politics, and maybe fixing proprietary software *in and of itself* isn't
necessarily the best high priority ALTHOUGH it is, of course, an
admirable one.

Anyway,

My 2c.