Re: [Linux-aus] Firefox vs IceWeasel

gyaresu wrote:

Computers scare people.

It's not a browser. It IS Linux. It IS 'Free Software'. It IS 'The Computer'. A huge number of people (particularly the ones uncorrupted by ANY computer use) have no differentiation between a browser and an OS.
E.g. My Grandmother is highly literate and an advanced researcher of Genealogy but She still opens EVERYTHING in MS Word.

This is painfully true, it can be extremely difficult to describe to some people the concept of a 'Web Browser'.

So we probably need a catchall name that incorporates EVERY secure browser. A generic name that isn't associated with a Trademark or a Brand.

Not so much an Internet Explorer as an 'Secure Pipe' or 'Web Tunnel' that could be Firefox or IceWeasle or whatever. As long as it was Free, Open and secure.

"OK kids. Now open up a 'Secure Pipe' to http://example.com";

Following on from above, and really the whole issue at hand for this entire thread is; creating new (unheard) names scares people.

"OK kids. Now open up a 'Web Browser' to http://example.com";