Grant Application

Date:27/11/06

Project Name: PHP Training Course Project

Aim of Project: To develop a 12 week x 3hrs/week PHP training course. To
develop training materials for the FOSS Community. To 'beta' test the
course with 5 students.

Person Resposible for Request: Robyn Manning

Request: Grant of $900 to provide the services listed here -

12 weeks use of training room $600.
Purchase of resources $150 to be donated after the course is developed.
Printing, binding of notes for first course $150 and
Consumables blank cd's, paper.

Background: As Adelaide is a small city there are few opportunities
outside of TAFE Diplomas or University to attend Computer Courses that
aren't devoted to Application Packages.

I have worked in training and computer repair for the past 17 years.
Where I have developed training courses for students, workers and the
unemployed. I'm currently delivering training courses to people returning
to the workforce at The Hut Community Centre. These courses are for
beginners and slightly more advanced users who need to gain confidence
in using computers. The courses are run on Ubuntu Linux thin clients.

As the first course would be a testing and further development of the
materials I don't want to charge these people much for the course if at
all.

The first course would be aimed at Beginner Programmers with little or
no programming experience.

Course Outline might look like this.

Uses of PHP
Project: Building an interface for a flat file or relational Music
Database.
Understanding the need to design ones programs
Markup, SQL & scripting languages
Flat File vs Relational Databases
HTML forms, tables etc
Connecting to a database
Querying, Adding to, and Deleting from, a database

Practical class work each week