Re: [Linux-aus] President's Report: August / September 2006

Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Conrad Parker">

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 02:27:28AM -0400, Jeff Waugh wrote:
Yes we can. We can promote upcoming events at current events. Promoting
the same event ahead of time does not make sense. Let's do Event
Promotion 101.
This is the Free Software community, not a corporate marketing strategy.

Ah yes, let's pooh-pooh good practice because it sounds like something paid people would do!

The principle of releasing early applies to events for the same reason
that it applies to software -- it allows people to plan ahead and become
involved in the process.

For which a year is entirely appropriate, considering that the core people who are already involved would know ahead of time.

- Jeff

I had been umming about this one for a little while, but I think I have to agree with Jeff on this one. A years notice is quite a fair bit and quite enough. I like the fact that I know about Melbourne now and I would have to say that although I would be disappointed to miss Sydney I would not be 'as disappointed' as I know I will be going to Melbourne as I have family there and hence more than one reason to go.

I would suggest that the following years event location be announced at the conclusion of the current planned conference. I personally think that would work exceptionally well and might add a bit of sparkle to the sad end of a great few days.

Cheers,

Andrew Swinn