Re: [Linux-aus] Ubuntu Certification (was: lca2005 CD)

On 05/04/2006, at 12:21 PM, Jonathan Oxer wrote:

On 4/5/06, Steve Walsh <steve@nerdvana.org.au> wrote:

Now forgive me if I'm wrong, and please be nice enough to flame me off list if
I am, but I was under the impression the LPI's were meant to be Vendor Neutral.
By introducing a vendor specific exam into the LPI stream, isn't this just moving
the LPI's away from their Benefit ie - A means of measuring the certified
person's knowledge of the core linux kernel and subsystem. ?

There's a difference between being vendor-neutral and providing vendor-specific material though. My understanding is that LPI are vendor-neutral in that they are not funded by vendors and therefore have no bias, but still offer certification that is specific to various platforms. I don't see that as reducing their "neutrality" as such.

So they are doing this for free, or is Canonical paying for it? If they are paying for it, then that does away with the idea of being vendor-neutral as they are "sponsored" by Canonical? (Again, I am not bagging this, just giving a different look at it :)

Regards
Jonathon