[Taslug] Hobart August 18th Meeting - High Performance Computing (HPC) - Andrew Elwell

Scott Bragg jsbragg at scriptforge.org
Sun Aug 14 16:56:40 AEST 2016

Hello LUGgers!

This month we have Andrew Elwell giving us a talk about High Performance
Computing. Beat the winter by joining us at Hotel SoHO this Thursday
while we turn up the megahertz and lower the latency.

Andrew will be talking about High Performance Computing (HPC) and
covering topics such as clustering, systems management, some basic
overview of performance, what makes HPC so "special" (and expensive) and
how HPC differs from High Throughput Computing, Cloud and other
fashionable technologies.

##Where
- Hotel SoHO
- 124 Davey Street
- Upstairs meeting room (usually, but we might also be sent down the
back downstairs)

##When
- Thursday 18th August 2016

##Agenda
- 6pm - Arrive, set up talk, grab a drink, order some food.
- 6.30pm - Tech support - let the hive mind solve your problems
- 7pm - High Performance Computing - Andrew Elwell

##Bio
Andrew has been a system administrator since the 2.0 kernel appeared,
working in both Academia and Industry. He's worked on various systems
including a #9 machine in the top500 (HPCx), the first BlueGene/L in
Europe. He currently works for the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre in WA as
a senior system administrator, working with the largest Cray computer in
the southern hemisphere. Prior to coming to Australia, he worked at CERN
providing software for the Worldwide Large Hadron Computing Grid (WLCG)

Scott Bragg