[LA-Policies] [Linux-aus] Acknowledgement of country

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Thu Nov 5 22:02:32 AEDT 2015

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015, Paul Wayper wrote:
> So what you're objecting to is that it be mandated?  You don't object to
> people voluntarily putting an Acknowledgement of Country in their conferences
> or their talks?

Of course not. I'd fully expect that many events would include it. However
that should be up to the organisers and people are free to judge the
quality of the event but it's inclusion or lack of.

A future conference might instead choose to highlight another [political]
issue.

Please also note that such a ceremony is not free. Even if it only takes a
couple of minutes (judging from online examples) it is still something that
has to be arranged, paid for and fitting into the flow of the conference.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.simonlyall.com/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar