[LA-Policies] [Linux-aus] Acknowledgement of country

David david_crosswell at telaman.net.au
Thu Nov 5 21:58:30 AEDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 21:19 +1100, Paul Wayper wrote:
> On 05/11/15 20:32, Luke John wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au
> > > wrote:
> > > I agree that the prayer should be removed.  But this isn't a
> > > discussion of
> > > outdated features of parliament.  The mention of parliament was
> > > regarding a
> > > change that was made recently.  We can copy the good things they
> > > do without
> > > copying the bad stuff.
> >
> > Sure but to use the Federal Parliament's standards as a minimum you
> > are left with the task of working out which are both "good things"
> > and
> > make sense in the context of events run by LA.
>
> We're always going to have to pick and choose a set of 'minimum
> standards'.
> Whether you pick Federal Parliament, the guidelines in Crucial
> Conversations,
> or the Internet Manifesto, there are always going to be bits that we
> think
> aren't relevant and bits which we'd like to include that aren't.
>
> So either you go on a quest to find the perfect standard for
> behaviour already
> written and argue about which one is right, you pick one and argue
> about which
> bits of it are relevant, or you write your own and argue about the
> reasoning
> behind it.
>
> The key word in there is 'standard' - as in: there are so many to
> choose from :-)

I think we need to look at the idea that the aims of this organisation
are not synonymous with those of Parliament and, frankly, I don't know
why Parliament even emerges here.
We are radically different in agenda, so need to look at a defined,
unique standard. There are challenges emerging all the time in regard
to Linux, and openness in general, which we need to make a statement
on. I don't think anything relating to Parliament is going to attend to
that:

http://infojustice.org/archives/35267

> > > Why would someone object to an Acknowledgement of Country?

I have absolutely no idea, and I fail to see why we should see fit to
add to that. Locale is immaterial. I'd need five minutes on the street
to find out who the local people were. I don't think ignoring them,
which appears to be somewhat of a speciality in Australia, needs to be
added to the resume of this organisation.
--
Kind Regards,

David Crosswell.
Telaman Consultancies