[PHPwestoz] CMSs/web applications - opinions?

moosecat at moosecat.com.au moosecat at moosecat.com.au
Tue Jan 4 21:26:01 UTC 2005

Quoting Sol <sol at terminus.net.au>:

Some possible ways to to things - the way I do it - or have thought about doing
it...
Ability to use modules.., self installing etc.
If modules are placed into a directory - you can easily read this directory &
dyamically include the files...  you can go a step further & list them in the
admin area an have a flag to switch them on/off (flag in the database - again
they can add an entry in the module table them selves when they are loaded).
A standard array could set many of the configs - or be used to generate a form
to ask the right values via the admin - or get them straight from the core
config.

spell check, image/doc management, template engine are available as open source
- you could include these in your project & contribute back to the other
projects.... I have seen a spell check in phpclasses that can be run without
all the extras that phpspell requires...  I think this is important as if you
are building a CMS that can be run on many platforms servers...  you have to be
a bit carefull on the requirements... or have the ability for the system to know
what it has & what is does not & switch things on-off as nessicary....

One thing that many wiki's have that is cool is a Diff function.... this is a
good ideal if version control was there too....

User priverages can easily be handled with a user table, login, & extra flag in
a table...  by the way any one know any good references to software logic
patterns...  have not used them yet...  but very good idea if you were to build
a CMS from scratch.  Would help that non-reinventing the wheel too.

Another thing a missed was self install of the CMS it self ... fi you want other
developers to take this up... especially if they don't know a great deal of
php....  they want things easy...  otherwise you will be installing all the
time... and not developing (I know....  all I do is install CMS's - never any
time to develope...)

Hope I have not written too much - or gone in to too detail for this list...

Any way good luck - lunch time....(in Sweden)

Regards

Sean
MooseCat