[PHPwestoz] [OT] MySQL UNIQUE INDEX

Nicolas Connault nicou at sweetpeadesigns.com.au
Mon Feb 21 17:59:01 UTC 2005

>> What's the difference between VARCHAR and TEXT?
>

> As far as I know, VARCHAR is fixed length while TEXT is dynamic. There
> maybe more differences, but that's the main one off the top of my head.

Also, VARCHAR is limited to a maximum of 255 characters and its limit
must be specified implicitely, while a TEXT field can hold up to 65535
characters and, as pointed out, is dynamically sized, so you don't have
to specify a limit.

Also be aware that there are other TEXT-type fields available:

    * TINYTEXT: 255 chars
    * TEXT: 65,535 chars
    * MEDIUMTEXT: 16,777,215 chars
    * LONGTEXT: 4,294,967,295 chars