[Media] Content promoted by @linuxaustralia

Katie McLaughlin katie at glasnt.com
Wed Dec 28 10:16:58 AEDT 2016

Hi Media Team

This morning I received one direct and one informal communication
questioning a tweet from @linuxaustralia

The tweet in question:
https://twitter.com/linuxaustralia/status/813828128535642113

> @facebook showcases its #opensource contributions,
> esp. #nuclide and @reactjs via @NetworkWorld

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3152873/open-source-tools/facebook-delivers-its-state-of-the-open-source-union.html

The problem that was raised is that at least one of Facebook's 'open
source' projects contains an LICENCE which is not FOSS compliant. In this
case, Nuclide https://github.com/facebook/nuclide/blob/master/LICENSE

Now, I know that the @linuxaustralia account should probably be doing more
than just promoting LA events, and with the discussion about renaming media
to publicity-and-outreach, this makes sense. But I think that there's
issues with what we are putting out under the LA brand as "OK".

I know this is getting a bit meta, but I also think that the use of the
@linuxaustralia account should become in-line with how the LA community
decides the organisation should go as a result of the next election.

As for the above tweet, I see that it's already been retweeted from the
@linuxaustralia account itself, but I'm not sure if it should be removed,
or not. I also have the credentials to this account, but I have not made
any posts from it because I'm not sure how it should be used, and I don't
want to do anything on there without approval from at least one other Media
person. But I don't think that scales to the entire use of the account.

- Katie